Sunday, October 27, 2013

Holiday Grand Plan - Week 9 - Pantry and Pie

Holiday Grand Plan

It's Week 9 of the Holiday Grand Plan, it it's time to clean out your pantry. I don't know about you, but the top shelf of my pantry is where I store our first aid kit and all of our medications.  When I clean out the pantry, that's the first thing I have to go through.  The really frustrating thing?  YESTERDAY was National Drug Take Back Day and there were several locations near my house where I could have quickly and safely dropped off the expired stuff. 

I need to mark the calendar for next year so I don't miss it again. 

We're getting ready for our early Thanksgiving/MiL's birthday celebration on Saturday, so I'll be doubling up on desserts and skipping a freezer meal this week. 

I'll go ahead and make a Calypso Pie for Saturday and one for the real Thanksgiving.  This is a tradition at our house and a family favorite, but so easy and you can make it ahead.  I can't find where I've given you that recipe or link before, so here it is.  You can thank me later.

I know this recipe isn't "in order."  This is the order I make it in so that the chocolate sauce is totally cooled by the time you're ready for it.

Calypso Pie

Chocolate Sauce/Topping (sauce recipe makes enough for two pies.  You can make two or just freeze the extra sauce)
  • 4 1/2 oz dark chocolate squares
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 C evaporated milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 C slivered almonds, toasted
  • whipped cream
Combine chocolate, butter, sugar, evaporated milk, and salt in top of a double boiler.  Cook, stirring continuously, for 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens a little.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Chill. 

Crust
  • 1 1/2 C Famous chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (I put most of a sleeve in my food processor)
  • 4 Tbsp melted butter

Mix together and press into 9" deep dish pie plate.  Refrigerate.

Filling
  • 1/2 gallon of coffee ice cream, softened
  • 1/4 C Kahlua
Press ice cream into crust and drizzle with Kahlua.  Top with Chocolate Sauce, then slivered almonds.  Freeze.

Serve topped with whipped cream and a cherry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...