Thursday, February 20, 2014

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - Hail to the Chief

Quiltin Jenny

It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.


Today's project is another one of the quilts I made for my kids' school to auction off.  This one was made in 2005, right after Inauguration Day, with the second graders.  I was inspired by this gorgeous toile fabric that I used for the border.  I wish the photos were better...and I wish the bottom didn't look so wavy.

By this point, I had my act together enough to have given the teachers the worksheets far enough in advance that they could work it into the many other lesson plans about the presidential election.

I asked the kids to finish the sentence "If I were president..." and, as always, was amazed by the responses.  Things like:
  • "I would make sure Americans were safe.  I would make scientists work harder so they could warn us of storms." [Oh, those lazy scientists!]
  • "I would make laws so that five-year-olds can't watch PG-13 movies."
  • "I would tell the farmers to grow healthier food."
There were lots of responses about the war and the tsunami and the poor.  It's amazing to think these same kids are now juniors in high school, getting ready to apply to college and continue their journeys toward whatever it is they will do to make the world a better place.


Because the responses were so long, I typed them out and printed them onto my favorite white cotton fabric sheets.  This was the easiest to match up with plain white muslin. I made a simple Sawtooth Star block, alternating the red and blue prints. You can't really see it, but the red has tiny little cherries on it.  Get it?


I believe this is the quilt that sold for the most of any I donated at $2500. I love how it turned out, and how it provided a snapshot of that moment in history.

Do you have an old mature holiday craft to share with us this week? I've updated my InLinkz account so now we have thumbnails. We'll see if that makes any difference in participation.






1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt! The kids responses are great. Have you ever seen the responses of preschoolers when they are asked how do you make a Thanksgiving turkey? Hilarious responses!! It's a wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...