Thursday, September 11, 2014

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - Bless US

Quiltin Jenny

It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.


Today's project is one I started on retreat with my BQF Pam back in 2002. She was trying to teach me how to paper piece, and I started with the flag and then moved onto some simple letter patterns. It was right around the first anniversary of 9/11.


After piecing the words, I moved on to the dove and decided I was done. I'm still not a huge PP fan, and the idea of making any more blocks or making a bigger quilt than this out of PP is not appealing. I decided it would be fine as a small table topper or wall hanging and slapped a border on it. Then I quilting it with wavy lines, bound it, and called it done.

Pam asked me if I meant for it to say "God bless us" or "God bless the U.S."  She thought if I meant the latter, maybe I should embroider a small, cursive "the" in the red space next to "U.S." I kind of like the double meaning, so I left it the way it was.

It's hard to believe it's already been thirteen years since that terrible day. I realize that my children, although they were all alive then, have no real point of reference for before...only after. I also realize that I have several quilts and blocks that were made in the aftermath where I was processing what had happened in our world. Quilt therapy strikes again.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect quilt for today. I like the double meaning too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done. I agree with Sandi, perfect post for today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read something similar to what you said about your children having no point of reference. I remember my mom calling me as I was trying to get out of the house that morning (DH was on a trip) and telling me to turn on the TV. I did and saw what was going on, but was really focused on getting out of the house and to work. I dropped the Y.M. off at school and really began to understand the magnitude of what happened at work. Everyone was talking about it, of course. They sent us all home early and I made a concentrated effort to keep my 3.5-4YO away from the TV so he wouldn't see any of the horrifying images. I didn't ask him what he thought on Thursday, but I might. I know we have talked a little about it and his life has certainly been affected by the aftermath - airport screening, the financial consequences of the wars, etc. But, also, that is the only world he really knows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...